The "new"London Bridge at Lake Havasu. This bridge replaced the "old" London Bridge (across the Thames River) which was over 600 years old when work began in 1824; this bridge opened to traffic in 1831. Over decades, surveys showed that the new bridge was sinking about an inch every eight years and itself needed to be moved and replaced. In 1968, the bridge was sold to Robert P. McCullough of McCullough Oil for $2,460,000. The bridge was dismantled with each piece numbered, shipped through the Panama Canal to Long Beach, CA, where it was trucked to Lake Havasu. The bridge was re-assembed and rededicated in October, 1971.
Book a Room at Lake Havasu City, AZ
|The bridge, which was reconstructed by Sundt Construction, crosses the Bridgewater Channel from Uptown Lake Havasu along McCullough Blvd to Pittsburg Point (which became an island). In this photo, a car is crossing the bridge at twilight.|| |
Back to top